This brief list outlines some of the most common visa types. Contact us for a Free initial consultation to review your unique situation.

investor visas


E-2 TREATY Investor

The E-2 nonimmigrant classification allows a national of a treaty country (a country with which the US maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation) to be admitted to the US when investing a substantial amount of capital in a US business.  Certain employees of such a person or of a qualifying organization may also be eligible for this classification.

To qualify for E-2 classification, the treaty investor must:

  • Be a national of a country with which the United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation. List of US Treaty countries.

  • Have invested, or be actively in the process of investing, a substantial amount of capital in a bona fide enterprise in the US.

  • Be seeking to enter the US solely to develop and direct the investment enterprise. This is established by showing at least 50% ownership of the enterprise or possession of operational control through a managerial position or other corporate device.



Under this program, entrepreneurs (and their spouses and unmarried children under 21) are eligible to apply for a green card (permanent residence) if they:

  • Make a minimum investment of $1,000,000 in a commercial enterprise in the US. A lower investment minimum of $500,000 can apply for "Targeted Employment Areas" with high unemployment or rural locations.
  • Plan to create or preserve 10 permanent full-time jobs for qualified US workers.

Investments can be made directly or through regional centers and include a wide variety of options including real estate, businesses and restaurants among others. Investments can either be passive or actively managed by the investor.



Under this program, if you have the right combination of skills, education, and/or work experience and are otherwise eligible, you may be able to live permanently in the US. Approximately 140,000 immigrant visas are available each fiscal year for aliens (and their spouses and children) who seek to immigrate based on their job skills. The visa preference categories are as follows:

  • EB-1: This preference is reserved for persons of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics; outstanding professors or researchers; and multinational executives and managers.  Labor certification is not required. EB-1 criteria.  
  • EB-2: This preference is reserved for persons who are members of the professions holding advanced degrees or for persons with exceptional ability in the arts, sciences, or business. Labor certification is required unless applicant can obtain a national interest waiver. EB-2 criteria.
  • EB-3: This preference is reserved for professionals, skilled workers, and other workers. Labor certification is required. EB-3 criteria.
  • EB-4: This preference is reserved for “special immigrants,” which includes certain religious workers, employees of US foreign service posts, retired employees of international organizations, alien minors who are wards of courts in the US, and other classes of aliens. Labor certification is not required. EB-4 criteria. 



This visa category applies to people who wish to perform services in a specialty occupation, services of exceptional merit and ability relating to a Department of Defense (DOD) cooperative research and development project, or services as a fashion model of distinguished merit or ability.  Your spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age may seek admission in the H-4 nonimmigrant classification.


E-3 Specialty occupation from australia

The E-3 classification applies only to nationals of Australia coming to the US solely to perform services in a specialty occupation. The specialty occupation requires theoretical and practical application of a body of knowledge in professional fields and at least the attainment of a bachelor's degree, or its equivalent, as a minimum for entry into the occupation in the US. Your spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age are entitled to the same E-3 classification. Your spouse is entitled to work authorization, but not your children. 



The L-1A and L-1B nonimmigrant classifications enable a US employer to transfer an executive, manager or professional employee with specialized knowledge relating to the organization’s interests from one of its affiliated foreign offices to one of its offices in the US.  This classification also enables a foreign company which does not yet have an affiliated US office to send an executive or manager to the US with the purpose of establishing one.

To qualify for L-1 classification the named employee must:

  • Generally have been working for a qualifying organization abroad for one continuous year within the three years immediately preceding his or her admission to the US; and
  • Be seeking to enter the US to provide service in an executive or managerial capacity or to provide services in a specialized knowledge capacity for a branch of the same employer or one of its qualifying organizations. 



The O-1 nonimmigrant visa is for the individual who possesses extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, or who has a demonstrated record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry and has been recognized nationally or internationally for those achievements. O-2 and O-3 visas are available for assistants and family members accompanying O-1 visa recipients.  O-1 criteria and classifications.


TN NAFTA Professionals

The TN nonimmigrant classification permits qualified Canadian and Mexican citizens to seek temporary entry into the US to engage in business activities at a professional level as authorized under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). The initial period of stay can be up to 3 years and may be extended upon application.

Among the types of professionals who are eligible to seek admission as TN nonimmigrants are accountants, engineers, lawyers, pharmacists, scientists, and teachers. The TN nonimmigrant classification is available to qualified citizens of Canada or Mexico who have prearranged a full-time or part-time job with a US employer. Any accompanying or “following to join” spouse and children under the age of 21 may be eligible for TD nonimmigrant status. Spouses and children are not permitted to work while in the US, but they are permitted to study.




A business visitor visa is a nonimmigrant visa and generally is used to enter the US temporarily for business.  Some examples of activities permitted with a business visitor visa:

  • Consult with business associates
  • Attend a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention or conference
  • Settle an estate
  • Negotiate a contract



A tourism visitor visa is a nonimmigrant visa and generally is used to enter the US temporarily for tourism, pleasure or visiting.



The F-1 Visa (Academic Student) allows you to enter the US as a full-time student at an accredited college, university, seminary, conservatory, academic high school, elementary school, or other academic institution or in a language training program. You must be enrolled in a program or course of study that culminates in a degree, diploma, or certificate and your school must be authorized by the US government to accept international students. A students spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age may seek admission in the F-2 visa classification.

F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions. There are various programs available for F-1 students to seek off-campus employment, after the first academic year. F-1 students may engage in three types of off-campus employment, after they have been studying for one academic year. These three types of employment are: 

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT) (pre-completion or post-completion)
  • Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension (OPT)

Contact us for a Free initial consultation to review your unique situation.