DUI Defense Lawyer
✓ Former Government Lawyers Now Fighting for You
Our California DUI defense lawyers are experienced former prosecutor and public defense attorneys that have successfully handled thousands of cases. We use our knowledge of the system to skillfully fight for you.
✓ We Have 10 Days to Request DMV Hearing
DMV will automatically suspend your license unless we request a hearing within 10 days. The sooner we can start your defense, the better.
✓ We Appear in DMV & Court Hearings For You
In most instances, you will not have to attend DMV or court hearings unless you want to. Our DUI attorney can handle them for you.
California DUI Lawyer for All Types of DUI:
DWI Attorney & Driving While Intoxicated Defense
Our attorneys know that a DUI or drunk driving arrest and losing your license can have a major impact on your personal and professional life. Our skilled California DWI defense attorney has handled thousands of cases including first time DUI, 2nd, 3rd DUIs, commercial drivers license, non-US citizen DUI and bodily injury felony DUIs including vehicular manslaughter.
Regardless how serious your case is, our experienced DUI defense attorney will carefully analyze the evidence to identify any issues that will contribute to a successful DUI defense. There are many defenses available. Our top DUI lawyers know how government prosecutors & California courts operate and how to navigate the system for you. Our aggressive defense will help achieve the best possible results in your case.
Immigration and DUI lawyers available for immigrant DUI visa issues
Our firm offers both DUI and immigration attorneys experienced with minimizing the DUI immigration consequences for foreign nationals. Chudnovsky Law is known for skilled DUI representation of F1 international students & H-1B visa holders. DUI arrests can cause immigration visas to be revoked. Even if the case is dismissed.
Call 844-325-1444 for a Free consultation. The sooner we can begin your defense the better.
I was arrested for a DUI in LA
and a friend told me to call Chudnovsky Law. Tsion gave me a free consult and took the time to carefully review what happened and explain the different ways they could fight the case. She is really good at listening and putting you at ease.
As a professional with a license that could be suspended I was pretty freaked out. Even though I blew .16 at the DUI checkpoint, she was able to get the charge reduced to dry reckless. I kept my license and she is going to get the charge expunged off my record in a year. Very smart, hard working attorney you’d be fortunate to have represent you.
Bill, Google User
Excellent DUI Attorneys!
They saved my license and got my DUI dismissed due to a police mistake! They saved me a lot of fines and my visa. Fair price and they were very professional and great to work with. No drama just results and they explained everything to me really good.
Enzo, Google User
Chudnovsky Law helped me with a DUI H1B visa matter.
I was alarmed to receive a notice that my H-1B visa was revoked when I got charged with a DUI after a party. It happened so fast and USCIS did not even give me a chance to defend myself before revoking it. I had to search a lot to find a law firm that has DUI and immigration lawyers in the same firm to properly take care of this.
Once I spoke with Tsion Chudnovsky I knew I found the right place. She explained everything we needed to do...how she would fight the DUI charge and get my visa reissued. Their former DMV officer did my DMV hearing and made sure I kept my license and got some good information that was important for my defense.
Tsion's team is very connected in the DA's office and knows how to get things done. The bottom line is they took care of me and got my H1B visa reissued no problem. If you are here on a visa and need legal help, this is the right law firm.
Sanjeev, Yelp User
Very smart lawyers and very good service. I needed a Spanish speaking DUI lawyer and immigration lawyer to help me with my DUI.
Ms Tsion Chudnovsky explained DUI en Espanol including the DUI immigration problems and how they fight the charges. They did all the court appearances for me and made sure I did not have to spend any time in jail. It was not cheap but they saved my license and saved me a lot of money in fines. They also made sure there were no immigration problem. Tsion Chudnovsky es el mejor abogado DUI. Muchas gracias.
Ricardo, Google User
HOW TO FIGHT DUIS
Best Legal Defenses to DUI Charges
California DUI cases are rarely hopeless. Police officers bungle roadside investigations. Breathalyzers and blood testing are prone to error. Medical conditions and certain foods render falsely high blood alcohol readings. Our experienced DUI defense lawyer knows how to capitalize on these issues to win cases or reduce the charges.
Most people arrested for a California DUI or DWI charge assume the evidence against them is insurmountable. Most are wrong.
DUI & DWI cases often have flaws or errors
Fighting a DUI or DWI charge almost always makes more sense than simply pleading guilty. For example, did you know:
- More than 100 interfering substances, medical conditions and equipment malfunctions can cause DUI breathalyzers to generate falsely high readings?
- DUI blood testing is prone to error. When we re-test clients' blood samples at independent laboratories, we frequently get different results...and sometimes find that the original sample was contaminated?
- Police officers are required to follow a standardized set of procedures in DUI roadside investigations...and very few of them do?
There are Four Key Elements to a Prosectors Case
Under California DUI law, the standard of proof requirement for the prosecution is beyond reasonable doubt. If your drunk driving attorney can show the case is not 100% free of reasonable doubt then the court can dismiss the case. The four key elements prosecutors typically use to try and convict are:
- Driving impairment patterns: The NHTSA has identified 24 visual driving clues for police officers to detect impaired drivers such as swerving or running stop lights
- Physical signs and symptoms: Observations such as red eyes, alcohol odor or unsteady gate are probably the most easily discredited by the defense
- Field sobriety tests such as the one leg stand or Nystagmus tests
- Chemical test results or refusal: There are many ways to defeat breath and blood test results
Successful DUI defenses usually involve your DUI law firm identifying issues in any of the four components above to show there is a reasonable doubt. The best DUI attorney will analyze your case evidence to identify the highest probability defense strategy to use.
You Only Have 10 Days After A DUI Arrest to Stop DMV License Suspension
How We Work to Save Your California License
In California, DUI and driving while intoxicated DWI charges trigger a criminal court process and a parallel California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Admin per se (APS) hearing process. The process and procedure involved in an APS hearing is separate from the criminal court.
1) We need to request APS hearing within 10 days to halt suspension
The DMV provides a short 10 day window to request an APS hearing to dispute the license suspension. They strictly enforce the deadline.
Your license will be automatically suspended 30 days after arrest if we do not request the hearing in time.
2) The DMV's APS officer typically focuses on three questions:
- Were you the driver of the vehicle involved?
- Did the officer make a lawful arrest and have reasonable cause to think you were driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol?
- Was your BAC 0.08% or higher (the limit is 0.05% or more if you're under age 21)?
Your exact blood alcohol level may not be known at the time of the hearing since labs can take weeks to release their testing results. Even if you weren't driving drunk, the police usually have justifiable reasons why they believed your were.
3) Our former DMV APS hearing officer or lawyer will represent you and argue to keep your license
Usually only an expert in California DUI laws knows how to provide the best answers to the DMV officer. It can be tricky to answer the questions in the best way for your case. Our experts have handled thousands of DMV hearings and are skilled at utilizing the process to your best advantage. Our goal is to save your license and further your defense.
4) It's important to retain a DUI attorney before the DMV hearing
The sooner we begin your defense, the better your odds of success. The DMV hearing is a key step that can function as a mini-trial allowing us to prepare for the potential criminal court process to come. At the APS hearing:
- We can request important evidence before the APS hearing such as the exact BAC lab test results.
- We know DUI arrest laws and are skilled at making the case whether an officer's arrest followed all California laws.
- California offers a public defender for those without attorney representation. County public defenders are not able to represent you at APS hearings, nor take advantage of the benefits they provide you. But we can.
5) The APS hearing can be an important source of evidence to use in your DUI defense
For the APS hearing, your DWI lawyer can subpoena the arresting officer which may reveal mistakes in how you were arrested. Your attorney can also subpoena calibration and maintenance logs for the breathalyzer and explore the device's history of malfunctions and issues. This evidence can later be used in your court trial or to negotiate with the District Attorney to get your charges reduced or dismissed.
APS hearings and criminal court cases are complex but offer valuable opportunities to build a successful DUI defense. Since the consequences of losing a DUI case are so high, it is important to have the best DUI lawyer that has done thousands of cases handle it for you. Our experienced California DUI Lawyers know how use every opportunity to achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
Call 844-325-1444 For a Free DUI Case Review
Our experienced attorneys will review your case and answer questions. The sooner we can begin your defense the better.
After a DUI
What To Do After a DUI
The entire process, from getting pulled over, through field sobriety test, an arrest, a chemical breath tests, all the way to your release from custody, can happen quickly and become a blur over time. To assist your drunk driving lawyer, it is important to document as much as you can about what happened throughout the entire process. Write down as much as you can remember, including:
- What happened when you were pulled over
- What the police officer said about sobriety tests, and how they were executed
- What the police officer said about a preliminary alcohol screening test (breathalyzer)
- What happened during the arrest & transportation to the police station
- What the police officer said about providing a chemical breath test
- How the officer executed the chemical breath test
All of this information may be helpful for your DWI defense lawyer to explore defenses available to you in your DMV administrative license hearing and in your criminal case. Even though police officers conduct DUI stops all the time, they can make mistakes or take shortcuts in violation of your rights. You CA DUI attorney can make sure an unconstitutional traffic stop does not lead to a criminal conviction.
California DUI Statistics
- California arrested 162,199 people for DUI during the year.
- 16,060 of the arrests were alcohol involved injury collisions.
- 155,599 or 97% were misdemeanor DUI arrests.
- 4,789 or 3% were felony DUI arrests.
- 17,568 or 11% were alcohol or drug involved reckless driving convictions.
- 1,197 driving fatalities involved alcohol.
MADD estimates that drunk driving costs the United States $132 billion a year.